Remote Learning 25th-29th January
Welcome year 2 parents, carers and support bubble members to another week of remote learning!
Well done to everyone trying hard to work at home; especially to our year 2 children for being so fantastic. You're all doing a great job - keep it up!
Thank you for sending in the Magic Finger writing. We were thrilled to read such great 'interviews'; the questions and answers the children came up with were very thoughtful. We hope your child responded well to their individual feedback and was able to edit anything we highlighted.
Week beginning 25th January
If your child is working from home, we would like them to do the following:
- read with you every day
- practise their handwriting every day
- learn their spellings every day
- complete an English and a Maths task every day
- complete one Science task each week
- complete one Curriculum task each week
This week, we would like to see the children’s work for Maths - Day 2. Please email in a photo of this completed learning to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use this email to get in touch with the year 2 team for any help, support or guidance with any of the remote learning offer.
Literacy: This week we are learning about suffixes or word endings. We will finish the week with some letter writing.
A Sentence a Day: *NEW* This writing starter aims to keep your child writing at least one sentence per day. This is what we use in school to start each morning.
Maths: This week is all about multiplying using arrays. Please refer to the guidance to know which activities and learning videos to use and when.
Class story: We read this after our morning break. The clips are roughly 10 minutes long so whilst your child is watching, try to have a break yourself. Chapters read so far are here: 1-2, 3-5, 6-7, 8-10, 11-12, 13-14, 14-16, 17-18.5, 18.5-19, 20-21, 22-23, 24-25.5, 25.5-26, and 27.
Spellings: *NEW* See the attached document which lists the weekly spellings for your child to learn. Extras: try Little Birds or Spooky Spellings for fun ways to learn the year 2 spellings. As well as spelling, Karate Cats is a fun way to help with grammar and punctuation.
Handwriting: We hope that whatever stage your child is at, you are able to see their handwriting is becoming clearer and more appropriately-sized. Continue working on lowercase and capital letters or through the joins in the handwriting resource (attached). Your child should practise one join a day (e.g. this week could be: aw, ax, ay, ca, ce).
CLIC: Attached is the three-week plan and PowerPoint for you to follow. At the end of the week, please ask your child to complete a CLIC test and Learn It test (read the attached 'CLIC explained' help sheet for more information).
CLIC extra: This link takes you to the many jingles and songs to help your child learn their Learn Its. Hit the Button could also be used for recalling number facts. We have also uploaded calculation challenges to your child's Purple Mash account.
Reading: We hope you've been able to have a look at the free e-books on Oxford Reading Tree. Once you've created a free account, your child should be able to read some books for their book band level. Alternatively, we've learnt that Ely Library is open for collections. Please also look at the reading comprehension activity attached below.
Purple Mash: Click on the '2Dos' icon where your child can work through the tasks that have been set for them which cover aspects of phonics, grammar and number facts. We are responding to all the work handed in so far and comments left for us - thank you everyone!
Curriculum: Attached are the seven Curriculum activities which can be completed in any order. Please do send us in photos of your child's learning - we'd love to see photos of these completed tasks!
Science: Attached are the six Science lessons. We recommend completing the Science activities in order, starting with Lesson One.
Fun exercises: *NEW* Here are a few indoor things to try for exercise breaks. This Just Dance video is always a crowd pleaser in class. The children just choose their player and they copy the moves. We tried this Minecraft-themed Cosmic Kids Yoga in school last week too and the children enjoyed it.
A Little Extra: Have a look at this weeks selection of Daily Walk Activities.
A few jokes for our year 2s from Roald Dahl's Marvellous Joke Book:
What's an alien's favourite snack? A Mars bar!
How do you make a chocolate milk shake? Give it a fright!
Why does Willy Wonka smile when he sleeps? He's having sweet dreams!
- Maths guidance 25.1.21
- Maths - Activity 1a
- Maths - Activity 1b
- Maths - Activity 1a & 1b answers
- Maths - Activity 2
- Maths - Activity 3
- Maths - Activity 3 (answers)
- Maths - Activity 4
- Maths - Activity 5
- CLIC explained
- CLIC plan 11th-29th Jan
- CLIC teaching PowerPoint
- CLIC Level 6 Questions and Answers
- CLIC Level 7 Questions and Answers
- CLIC Level 8 Questions and Answers
- CLIC Level 9 Questions and Answers
- Learn Its Level 7 Questions and Answers
- Learn Its Level 8 Questions and Answers
- Curriculum Subjects Menu
- Curriculum - PE - Fitness Circuit Cards
- Curriculum - DT- Paper Mechanisms
- Curriculum - History - Roald Dahl facts
- Curriculum - Geography - Rural/Urban Photos
- Curriculum - Geography - Aerial Photos
- Literacy Activities 25th-29th
- Activity 1 - suffix less letter
- Activity 1 - suffix less definitions
- Activity 2 - Dear Diary ment words
- Activity 2 - jumbled up sentences
- Activity 3 - trash or treasure
- Activity 3 - real or Not real suffix words
- Activity 4 - trash or treasure sentences
- Activity 5 - list of Suffix Words
- Activity 5 - video guidance
- Identifying Uses Lesson Presentation.ppt
- Identifying Uses of Everyday Materials.pdf
- Out and About Lesson Presentation.ppt
- Out and About Activity Sheet Editable.pdf
- Comparing Suitability Lesson Presentation.ppt
- Comparing Suitability Activity Sheet.pdf
- Changing Shape Lesson Presentation.ppt
- Changing Shape Activity Sheets.pdf
- Recycling Lesson Presentation.ppt
- Recycling Sorting Activity.pdf
- Recycling Sequencing Activity Sheets.pdf
- Discovering New Materials Lesson Presentation.ppt
- John McAdam Fact File Activity Sheets Editable.pdf
- John McAdam Word Mat.pdf